Here is the Summary of New Education Reforms Outline by the Ministry of Education (MOE), Ghana Education Service (GES), and National Coucil for Curriculum Assessment (NaCCA).
The New Education Reforms covers all levels of the education system in the country.
New Education Reforms – Summary
- Kindergarten, primary school, JHS and SHS shall all be described as basic school. JHS 1, 2, 3 and SHS 1 shall now be referred as BS 7,8,9 and 10 respectively i. e. SHS 1 shall now be called BS 10
- All students in JHS 1 – SHS 1 shall run a Common Core Programme called CCP which comprises of 9 subjects; namely Maths, Languages, Science, RME (stand alone subject), Physical and Health Education (not examinable), Career Technology, Social Studies, Computing and Creative Art and Design.
- A new examination called National Standard Assessment Test (NSAT) shall be conducted at Primary 2, 4, 6 and JHS 2.
- BECE shall be replaced by placement exams at JHS 3 to enroll students into SHS 1.
- Students in SHS1 shall continue to run the common core programme for one year thus students into SHS1 shall not select Science, Busines or Arts Programmes.
- At the end of SHS1, Students shall write a Common Core Exams into SHS 2.
- At SHS 2, students will now have to select either a career related programme which include, vocational and technical programmes or a high school Diploma programmes such as science, busines, arts.
- This means Elective subjects shall start in SHS 2.
- WASSCE will be replaced by a university entrance exams at SHS 3.
- Students after successful completion of SHS 3 will be rewarded a Diploma Certificate instead of WASSCE certificate.