Teach In England If You Trained Overseas

Teach in England and you’ll benefit from working in a world-class education system.

You’ll earn a competitive salary, get supported in your professional development and have varied job opportunities.

You could also consider teaching in Wales(opens in new window), Scotland(opens in new window) or Northern Ireland(opens in new window).

Not qualified as a teacher yet? Find out how to train to teach in England as a non-UK citizen. If you don’t want to come to England to train, you should consider international qualified teacher status (iQTS), which leads to the automatic award of English qualified teacher status.

What you’ll need to teach in England

If you are already a qualified teacher, you do not need to retrain to teach in England. However, you will need:

  • to apply for English ‘qualified teacher status’, or be able to demonstrate strong non-UK qualifications and experience
  • a high standard of written and spoken English
  • to pass criminal and professional safeguarding checks (these will be organised by your employer)
  • a visa or immigration status allowing you to work in the UK


Your professional qualifications

Schools you apply to will want to see evidence of your teaching and academic qualifications. You can get a statement of comparability from the UK information centre for international qualifications and skills(opens in new window) showing how your qualifications compare to English ones.

Apply for qualified teacher status (QTS)

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is the professional status teachers in England gain at the end of their teacher training. Schools use QTS as a measure of teaching skills and experience, so you will find it much easier to get a teaching job in England if you have QTS.

However, if you’re a qualified teacher from outside the UK, you can work as a teacher in England for up to 4 years without QTS(opens in new window).


After that, you will need QTS to teach in many schools in England, although it is not a legal requirement in some types of school (for example, academy schools, free schools and private schools(opens in new window)).

It’s important to note that, even if you decide to apply for QTS, you will have to apply for your teaching job and your visa separately.


BRIGHT FRANCIS ADOM is an ICT teacher at Ghana Education Service, Entrepreneur, Hard Working and I believe in giving out Accurate information to help others

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button